Church of England Participation Statistics 2019
2019 Church of England participation Summary
- The Worshipping Community of regular worshippers at Church of England churches in 2019 was 1.11 million people, of whom 20% were aged under 18, 47% were aged 18-69, and 33% were aged 70 or over.
- On average, 854,000 people (86% adults, 14% children under 16) attended Church of England services and acts of worship each week in October 2019. A further 182,000 people attended services for schools in Church of England churches in an average week in October 2019.
- The Usual Sunday attendance at Church of England churches in 2019 was 690,000 people (87% adults, 13% children under 16).
- 1.18 million people attended Church of England churches at Easter 2019 (of whom 72% received communion).
- 2.33 million people attended Church of England churches at Christmas 2019 (of whom 34% received communion). During Advent, there was reported attendance of 2.55 million people at special services for the congregation and local community, and 2.87 million people at special services for civic organisations and schools.
- There were 89,000 Church of England baptisms and services of thanksgiving for the gift of a child during 2019.
- There were 31,000 Church of England marriages and services of prayer and dedication after civil marriages during 2019
- There were 114,000 Church of England-led funerals during 2019, 62% of which took place in churches and 38% at crematoria/cemeteries.
All statistics are from page 3 of the Church of England Statistics for Mission Report.