College Chapel Attendance Figures
The latest figures for college chapel attendance are from 2018. The full report can be found online at: www.churchofengland.org.
54 college chapels were invited to take part in the 2018 Chapel survey. 40 completed the survey giving a response rate of 74%. Most responses (19) came from Oxford college chapels, with 17 Cambridge college chapels responding and 4 Durham colleges.
Usual Sunday and Midweek attendance
- Oxford, Cambridge and Durham college chapels reported a usual Sunday attendance during term time of 3,000 people, of whom 46% were students. A usual midweek attendance during term time of 3,300 was reported for 2018, of whom 33% were students.
- Oxford, Cambridge and Durham chapels reported a total worshipping community of 4,500 people. The majority (86%) were aged between 18-69 years old. On average 16% of the college student body were part of the worshipping community.
Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages and Funerals
• There were 68 baptisms and thanksgivings for the gift of a child in Oxford, Cambridge and Durham college chapels during 2018. The majority were for infants aged under one year.
• There were 93 confirmations in Oxford, Cambridge and Durham college chapels during 2018.
• There were 138 marriages held in Oxford, Cambridge and Durham college chapels during 2018.
• There were 30 services of prayer and dedication after civil marriages held in Oxford, Cambridge and Durham chapels during 2018.
• 18 funeral services and 34 memorial services were held in Oxford, Cambridge and Durham college chapels during 2018. A further 17 funerals services were conducted by a member of the chapel ministry team at a crematorium or cemetery during 2018.
- Oxford, Cambridge and Durham chapels reported having a total of 53 choirs during 2018. Chapels reported having 76 organ scholars, of whom 73% were male. There were slightly more women (556) than men (549) singing regularly in college chapels. Chapels further reported having 152 child choristers, of whom 64% were male.
Christmas and Easter
- Most college chapels did not hold services at Easter in 2018. One chapel reported a total Easter attendance of 450 people during 2018, while 36 chapels reported having a total Christmas attendance of over 2,500 people during 2018.
• 18,500 people attended Advent and Christmas carol services during 2018. 3,400 people attended Commemoration of Benefactors services, while more than 3,600 people attended graduation, leavers’ or end of year services.